In Spain, Institut Marques’ Premium Sperm Bank has been offering a wide range of outstanding services to gynecological and assisted reproduction centres since many years. For this, we rely on the most innovative technologies and we offer a wide variety of products, so as to make our clients’ work easier.
Our bank is notable for:
- High quality samples
- Anonymous donation, in accordance with Spanish Law
- Broad range of phenotypes
- Wide variety of presentation vials (standard, straw, IUI ready and cryotubes)
- All donor sperm undergoes FISH testing
- All donors are tested for Cystic Fibrosis (50 mutations), Syphilis, Hepatitis B and C, Cytomegalovirus, HIV 1 and 2. Their karyotype is checked
- Quality certification ISO 9001:2000 and UK Neqas Certification
Institut Marques has a large pool of sperm donors covering all blood types and phenotypes. Here below the tests they must undergo:
- Interview and medical history:The aim is to identify potential hereditary diseases (e.g. cystic fibrosis, thalassaemia, hemophilia, polycystic kidney, neurofibromatosis, muscular dystrophy, osteogenesis imperfecta, etc.), congenital malformations or alterations (spina bifida, anencephaly, hydrocephalus, congenital metabolic disorders, cleft lip, heart diseases, congenital blindness, etc.) chromosomal abnormalities (e.g. Down Syndrome, etc.), psychiatric disorders (e.g. schizophrenia, psychosis), metabolic disorders (e.g. diabetes) and a long list of disorders that motivate exclusion from our sperm donor programme.
- Sperm analysis with high quality parameters.
- Blood and urine tests:– Karyotype
– Hepatitis B and C
– HIV 1 and 2
– Chlamydia trachomatis
– Treponema pallidum
– Cystic fibrosis (50 mutations)
- FISH on sperm
- Medical and physical examination (andrology consultation).
Types of samples
Institut Marques provides frozen sperm samples from donors in two formats:
- Standard format(not processed) These samples (before being used for one cycle of IVF or IUI) should be processed by the means of density gradients, wash and spin, etc. depending what the centre deems appropriate.
- IUI-Ready format (processed) These samples do not need to be processed before being used for an IUI. They can be used directly after thawing.
When using IUI-ready samples for IVF cycles, Institut Marques recommends carrying out a wash with growth medium before ICSI or eggs insemination.
Quality and safety controls
All laboratory processes are controlled and monitored by a second biologist, who certifies the safety and traceability of these processes any time.
Twice a year, Institut Marquès Laboratory participates in an external quality control conducted by the United Kingdom National External Quality Assessment Service.
Thawing of samples
In order to obtain increased motility, it is essential to follow the thawing protocols recommended by Institut Marquès:
- After having removed the rod on the transport tank and checked the data with the report issued by Institut Marques, place the vial immediately in a water bath at 37 ° C for 5 minutes.
- In the case of cryotubes, slightly loosen the cap to release pressure.
- If the case of standard sperm samples, process the sample using the protocol established in each centre (density gradients, wash and spin, etc.)
- In the case of IUI-ready samples, move the sample thawed to a sterile tube and keep at room temperature until insemination (insemination is recommended as soon as possible after thawing the sample). For In Vitro Fertilisation cycles, Institut Marquès recommends washing with growth medium before ICSI or eggs insemination.
Samples are shipped in liquid nitrogen containers (Voyager 2 and 5 by Air Liquide). These containers have been approved for land and air transportation of biological samples. They are encased in a safety seal packaging.
Along with the samples comes a detailed report with all the information that the recipient centre may need. Spanish legislation only allows shipment of sperm samples to authorized centres and forbids direct shipment of samples to patients.
Institut Marquès is a registered centre with the regional government (No: U08909935) and hence meets all requirements established by the Royal Decree 1301/2006, which regulates sperm donation.