The eggs reach the laboratory

How do the eggs get to the Laboratory?

Following oocyte retrieval, the eggs surrounded by their cumulus cells are transferred to the laboratory in sterile tubes. They eggs are then identified using a microscope, cleaned and kept in culture medium in an incubator at 37ºC.

Are all the eggs collected in a given cycle of the same quality?

The quality of the eggs is a property that is unique to each woman and to each cycle. Therefore, not all the eggs obtained after retrieval are of the same quality. Usually, 80% of the oocytes are mature and the remaining 20% are immature. Immature eggs are usually not suitable for in vitro fertilisation.