Legal Matters about IVF
WITH OOCYTES OR SEMEN DONATION
What is it allowed or forbidden by the current Spanish Legislation?
• Semen and egg donation ARE ALLOWED.
• IT IS ALLOWED to apply these techniques to single women.
• Embryo reduction IS ALLOWED, in case of triplet orhigher order pregnancy.
• Economic compensation to egg and semen donors IS ALLOWED.
• IT IS FORBIDDEN that the couple select the donor. The medical team chooses the donor according to the blood group and phenotypical characteristics that more closely match those of the couple.
• IT IS FORBIDDEN to know the donor’s identity. Family or friends are excluded from becoming donors. Donation must be anonymous.
• Embryo sex selection IS FORBIDDEN unless the indication is a sex-related genetic disease.
• Surrogacy IS FORBIDDEN.
• IT IS ALLOWED to perform Preimplantational Genetic Diagnosis of embryos.